Jeffrey L. Balash
Jeff develops high-impact, break-through solutions by identifying patterns, opportunities and threats that others may not see or may overlook. An excellent listener and a quick study, he determines what the real underlying issues are so that he creates unconventional solutions. Jeff enjoys a broad network of senior relationships in business, academia, government and the media. He employs these to verify information, to obtain additional facts, to access important decision makers, and to form specific collaborations and teams to accomplish a defined objective.
Jeff is particularly focused on assisting companies in successfully digitally transitioning to Industry 4.0 and Industry 5.0. As Marco Iansiti at Harvard Business School states: It’s crucial for firms to reinvent themselves around these new technologies and capabilities to not only grow, but compete and survive.
Jeff Balash has worked at two multinational, premier investment banks as an MD, a private multinational merchant bank as a cofounder, a multinational private company, a multinational public company, and has been integral to six early-stage companies.
He has conducted business on six continents and traveled to all seven.
Jeff’s wide-ranging industry knowledge includes agribusiness/food products, business services, consumer products and services, ecommerce, entertainment, financial services, hardware, intellectual property, manufacturing, media/new media, retailing, software and telecom.
- LogicSource: Advisory Board: Norwalk, CT 2016 – present
- Comstock Investors LLC: Founder: LA, CA 1992 – present
- Telephony@Work (acquired by Oracle): Co-Founder/CSO-CFO: San Diego 1999-2002
- JL Furnishings: Co-Founder: Rancho Dominguez, CA: 1997-2001 bought out by cofounder
- Anthem Partners LLP (JV with Sanwa Bank): Co-Founder: NYC/LA 1991-1992
- Drexel Burnham: MD: Founder Transactions Development Group: Beverly Hills 1985 – 1990
- Lehman Brothers: MD – Corp. Fin. – M&A: NYC 1979-1985
- Avon Products: Director – Export Operations/New Markets: NYC 1976-1979
- Louis-Dreyfus & Cie.: – Asst. to CEO: NYC 1974 – 1976
- Certificates: First Digital Transformation / Digital Transformation
- Exec Ed – Multiple HBS and Stanford Exec Ed courses
- MBA (Baker Scholar)/JD cum laude– HBS/HLS 1970–1974
- AB Economics summa cum laude– Princeton University 1966–1970
- Churchill Scholarship to Oxford University
- Hero or Victim: Facing the Challenges of Change (with Marshall Goldsmith): Leadership Excellence: October 2014
- Sustainability: The Impossible Dream: Worldwide Association of Business Coaches: October 2012
- High Value Strategies (with Marshall Goldsmith): Leadership Excellence: June 2009
- A Blinding Glimpse of the Obvious Goes Unseen: Educom Review: March-April 1996
- Served on Harvard Business School Advisory Board (Boston), Board: American Friends of the Cite du Vin (New York/Bordeaux), Board: Joffrey Ballet (New York/LA), Board: West LA Little League (Los Angeles), Board: Harvard Business School Club of Southern California
- Assists Maasai village in Kenya – Maasai Mara: donations include scholarships, cattle, equipment
- Interests: Fitness, wine, food, sports, film, jazz, art, travel, nature, reading/learning/personal growth, mentoring
Deger is the CEO & Founder of Cerebra Technologies. Prior to Cerebra, he was a Research Fellow at the Freeman Spogli Institute at Stanford University, developing open-source toolkits for both detection and forecasting shifts of public opinion. Before Stanford, he was an entrepreneur at Atomic Labs, where he founded Replicant, improving retail sales efficiency through voice-based automation using behavioral patterns of merchants and clients. Deger has consulted with hedge funds, government agencies and retailers for implementing evidence-backed decision-making flows.
- Reduced waste by four tons/month per salesperson for a leading CPG, which yielded over $1.5 million in annual saving per SKU
- Recovered over 96,000 churning customers within three months with a personalized outreach for a global luxury retail brand with total annual recurring revenue of over $300 million.
- Successfully forecasted election results for 2018 state-level propositions for one of the world’s largest alternative asset managers employing both public and proprietary data.
Retired US Navy Captain
Scott is the Founder of Alfa Strategy. He served twenty-seven years as an officer in the U.S. Navy. At sea he commanded USS Mustin and USS Zumwalt (the lead ship of the Zumwalt class which has stealth capabilities, with a radar cross-section similar to a fishing boat despite her large size). While ashore, he served on senior staffs using wargaming for crisis response, strategic planning and the integration of emerging technologies with innovative operational concepts.
- Created a wargame that resulted in a leading cyber security firm pivoting its business so that it improved customer satisfaction, grew revenue, and beat its competition into a new strategic market.
- Developed a series of war-games for a high-tech transportation company which identified disruptive threats so that the company shifted its business model before those threats emerged.
- Implemented wargaming with the Institute for Defense and Business to enable its leaders from diverse commercial, government and military backgrounds to experience emerging challenges in context and to collaborate on successful strategies to counter them.